[rrd-developers] Accelerator Daemon

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Tue Jun 24 22:28:08 CEST 2008

Hi Florian,

> Tobi, what are your criteria for inclusion into the RRDTool SVN
> repository? Having this in the official repository will make it easier
> for people to test the daemon and submit patches.. Also, how would you
> like the final patch? All in one big patch (as it is right now), one
> patch per file, some logical junks or something completely different?

One big patch is fine ... in 1-2 weeks I will put 1.3.x in a
branche and then stuff can go into trunk and evolve there ...

about the design, I think there are two important things we should
be extra careful to observe.

a) make sure rrdtool will not write the rrd file directly if the
   daemon has data to write to it. One solution is locking, but it
   should also work it there is the rrdcached has a logfile to
   replay. Maybe the new 1.4 dataformat could contain something
   where the daemon can mark a file as 'pending-updates' which
   would prevent any direct write access.

b) have means (an environment variable) where one can tell rrdtool
   to use the daemon without changeing any source, since this will
   allow much easier testing and use with other frontends.

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 775 9902