[rrd-developers] Accelerator Daemon

Florian Forster rrdtool at nospam.verplant.org
Tue Jun 24 22:59:36 CEST 2008

Hi Tobi,

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 10:28:08PM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> One big patch is fine ...

okay.

> a) make sure rrdtool will not write the rrd file directly if the
>    daemon has data to write to it.

I'm not convinced this is really necessary: That daemon solves a problem
very big installations have. I don't expect this daemon to become the
usual way of accessing RRD files but that a few administrators, with
several thousand files to be updated, will use it to escape IO-hell. The
kind of people I'm talking about knows how to create a separate account
for `rrdcached' and hopefully does so.

I guess my point is that the usual way of using RRDTool is _not_ by
having a variety of users/programs to update the database. Usually there
is exactly one process updating the file over and over again. And in
99.9% of all updated this it done automatically.

If people want to screw up their RRD files, there are easier ways to do
this. Update with a time stamp far in the future, for example.

> b) have means (an environment variable) where one can tell rrdtool
>    to use the daemon without changeing any source, since this will
>    allow much easier testing and use with other frontends.

That's a good idea.. I'll look into it.

Regards,
-octo
--