[rrd-developers] implementing portable format

Sfiligoi Igor sfiligoi at lnf.infn.it
Mon Nov 3 17:35:54 CET 2008

Hi Tobi.

Maybe I was not clear what was the use case:
I have a server with O(10000) RRDs that are updated ~ once a minute.

I would like to allow a user to look in any one of them (or a
combination of them) and represent the data in graphics format.

Moreover, I don't want to allow active CGI scripts on my Web server;
I would just like to export the RRD files.

The ideal scenario would see a Web browser applet that gets the user
input, fetches the needed RRD files and plots the graphs for the browser.

Today this is effectively impossible; the RRD files are usually not
understood by the browser due to platform differences.

With the advent of a portable format, this would change, and one could
hope to implement the above scenario.
However, it is imperative that the RRD file can be parsed from languages
that can be used to create client-side Web content, like Java and
JavaScript. (C/C++ is definitely NOT an option)

PS: So the rrdtool xport is not an option.
I cannot afford to convert each RRD file into an XML file at each
update; that defeats the whole reason to use RRD in the first place.

Hope this explains,
  Igor