[rrd-developers] implementing portable format

Florian Forster rrdtool at nospam.verplant.org
Mon Nov 3 18:09:25 CET 2008

Hi Igor,

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 10:35:54AM -0600, Sfiligoi Igor wrote:
> Maybe I was not clear what was the use case: I have a server with
> O(10000) RRDs that are updated ~ once a minute.

I have O(2^n) RRD files (for an arbitrary constant `n'). *scnr*

> Moreover, I don't want to allow active CGI scripts on my Web server; I
> would just like to export the RRD files.

Parsing and processing the binary data on the user side will be hard and
tedious. Implementing a layer that parses the floating point cookie and
translates values accordingly surely isn't the most complex part of
that..

Please don't get me wrong, I'm all for a platform/architecture
independent storage format. I just think that with such a huge project
in front of you, this will be the least of your problems..

Regards,
-octo
--
Florian octo Forster