[rrd-developers] implementing portable format

Sfiligoi Igor sfiligoi at lnf.infn.it
Mon Nov 3 18:23:52 CET 2008

Hi Dan and Florian.

Thanks for the comments, but why do you think the RRD is much bigger
than the graph?
Here is what I have today:
[0906] ls -l Status_Attribute_Running.rrd
-rw-rw-r--  1 gfactory gfactory 58408 Nov  3 09:05
Status_Attribute_Running.rrd
[0906] ls -l Running.hour.large.png
-rw-rw-r--  1 gfactory gfactory 18085 Nov  3 09:00 Running.hour.large.png

As you can see, the file sizes are quite comparable.
(BTW: xport would probably return a file that is bigger than the
original RRD file for any significant subset of data)

Furthermore, the network bandwidth is not a major problem; I am more
limited in CPU power then network bandwidth.

Regarding the complexity of implementation, sure, getting the extraction
of information out of the RRD information will be quite a task at first
pass.
But once you have it, it is not harder than what you have today in C;
somebody just needs to do it once ;) Then it becomes a standard library.

Finally, the reason I want client side code is to minimize the security
risks of the Web server. The smaller amount of code I have to run there,
the more comfortable I feel. Buffer overflows, logic errors and DoS
incidents are just too frequent for my taste.
A static Web server is a necessity, everything else is not.

Cheers,
  Igor