[rrd-developers] rrdcached measurements in Ganglia

Daniel.Pocock at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Pocock at barclayscapital.com
Tue Nov 11 10:02:13 CET 2008

Ok, maybe we can collaborate on this instead of me re-inventing the
wheel

> What are you using to measure IO?

I've written a module that reads /proc/diskstats on Linux and kstat on
Solaris.  The results match with iostat output.

> > Before I start coding around the output of the STATS
> command, do you
> > envisage more changes in the imminent future?
>
> The format will not change.  However, your code should allow
> for more stats to be added in the future, just in case.

Yes, I don't imagine making anything too inflexible - but on the other
hand, I was thinking that it might be useful to have a one line STATS
command, so that the Ganglia module can read the output with a single
scanf()

> > Also, do you think it might be worthwhile storing things like the
> > maximum value of the queue length between any two STATS queries?
>
> Can't imagine why we'd need this...  Plus, two un-related
> clients could issue "STATS"; they'd have no way of knowing
> when the previous one ran.

That is definitely a risk - but for simplicity, that could be mentioned
in the man page, and just assume that most people will only run a single
instance of gmond and rarely run the STATS command manually.

This e-mail may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, do not duplicate or redistribute it by any means. Please delete it and any attachments and notify the sender that you have received it in error. Unless specifically indicated, this e-mail is not an offer to buy or sell or a solicitation to buy or sell any securities, investment products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any transaction, or an official statement of Barclays. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Barclays. This e-mail is subject to terms available at the following link: www.barcap.com/emaildisclaimer. By messaging with Barclays you consent to the foregoing.  Barclays Capital is the investment banking division of Barclays Bank PLC, a company registered in England (number 1026167) with its registered office at 1 Churchill Place, London, E14 5HP.  This email may relate to or be sent from other members of the Barclays Group.