[rrd-developers] RFC new DS type DGAUGE

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Sat Nov 15 15:56:15 CET 2008

I have been doing rrdtool tutorials and a Bof at LISA this week and
one toppic that keeps coming up is that good old

 Why does updating a GAUGE type DS with X cause Y to be stored.

I keep explaining the whole re-sampling issue and people eventually
understand it, but in the light of makeing the customers happy, I
have come up with the following idea.

 A new datasource type called DGAUGE. It would always *round down*
 the timestamp to the last step.

To not break things too much, multiple updates to DGAUGE within the
same STEP would get averaged without regards to the actual
timestamp the update was provided.

In that way, peple would see the data they put in, appear
in 1 step AVERAGE, MIN and MAX RRAs as long as they manage to put
in only one update per step.

coments ?