[rrd-developers] RFC new DS type DGAUGE

kevin brintnall kbrint at rufus.net
Sat Nov 15 18:15:01 CET 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 03:56:15PM +0100, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
>  A new datasource type called DGAUGE. It would always *round down*
>  the timestamp to the last step.

I like it.  I have a couple places where I specifically do that in order
to get "real" values..  Before I update I do something like:

	$time -= $time % $step

In my case, this is usually for things that are updated once daily but not
at 00:00:00.

> To not break things too much, multiple updates to DGAUGE within the
> same STEP would get averaged without regards to the actual
> timestamp the update was provided.

Averaged how?  $v = ($old + $new)/2 ?

If there are 3 updates we'll end up with:

   $v = $older/4 + $old/4 + $new/2

... and so on.  Is that OK?

> In that way, peple would see the data they put in, appear
> in 1 step AVERAGE, MIN and MAX RRAs as long as they manage to put
> in only one update per step.
>
> coments ?

Yeah!

--