[rrd-developers] implementing portable format

Hamish Marson hamish at travellingkiwi.com
Fri Oct 31 10:55:00 CET 2008

Quoting kevin brintnall <kbrint at rufus.net>:

> I have some more ideas on the implementation...  I tried to list the
> categories in increasing order of difficulty.  I'm sure I'm missing a few
> gotchas, but these strike me as the major categories that need work.
>
> Looking for feedback on these...  Let me know if I'm off-base.

> CHOICE OF ON-DISK ENCODING:
>
> * estimate user base, choose most common architecture for native format
>      - probably i386?
>
> * choose a specific byte-string for RRD portable NAN, INF.  Conversion
>   routines will have to test specifically for this and convert between
>   "RRD NAN" and "native NAN".

[deleted]

As long as it's noted in the header, what sort of format various
numbers are encoded as, what about making the reading of any type
possible, but only write in the native format... Thus if an RRD is
opened in read-write mode, have rrdtool able to convert an RRD from
the encoded format into native format... (Either using something like
'rrdtool convert' or with a flag to 'rrdtool update' to doit
automatically - which would only happen once of course).

This would let things like rdrdgraph able to operate still without
conversion, but make it possible to move files across easily from one
architecture to another... I can't see anyone would ever want to write
to the same RRD from multiple architectures simultaneously...