[rrd-developers] rrdtool 1.4 development ready to go

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Sun Sep 7 13:12:39 CEST 2008

Developers!

Today I have branched rrdtool 1.3, so trunk is now open for all the
cool new feature patches you have been holding back.

Please resync them with trunk and send them to the list, so that
they can be discussed and integrated.

My Goals for 1.4 are

* rrdcached integration
* a new portable data format
* switch from getopt to popt
* thread-safety

Regarding the library interface, I am aware that the 'argv argc'
interface is entirely not what c programmers are used to. And it
also means the loss of precision when numeric data is converted to
strings and back.

Unfortunately I have not yet seen a api design that convinced me to
switch.

Since there is a really large contingent of code using rrdtool out
there, the old interface must be preserved, but I would expect it
to become a compatibility layer ON TOP of the new interface.