[rrd-developers] rrdtool 1.4 development ready to go

José Luis Tallón jltallon at adv-solutions.net
Sun Sep 7 17:41:23 CEST 2008

Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Developers!
>
> Today I have branched rrdtool 1.3, so trunk is now open for all the
> cool new feature patches you have been holding back.
>
> Please resync them with trunk and send them to the list, so that
> they can be discussed and integrated.
>
> My Goals for 1.4 are
>
> * rrdcached integration
> * a new portable data format
> * switch from getopt to popt
> * thread-safety
>
> Regarding the library interface, I am aware that the 'argv argc'
> interface is entirely not what c programmers are used to. And it
> also means the loss of precision when numeric data is converted to
> strings and back.

Indeed. I already proposed a switch early 2005, IIRC
> Unfortunately I have not yet seen a api design that convinced me to
> switch.

Will you take a look at what I designed at that time?
You will most probably not like it entirely, but it might be a good
starting point.

The strategy we used was to re-design everything in C++,
object-oriented, and then code the resulting "proyection" onto C. The
modules each take opaque "handles" and all parameters are passed around
in their native binary form ---as opposed to converting back and forth
into strings.

Just tell me and I will fetch the interfaces and send them.
> Since there is a really large contingent of code using rrdtool out
> there, the old interface must be preserved, but I would expect it
> to become a compatibility layer ON TOP of the new interface.

Indeed. My proposal, almost four years ago
librrd_compat, with a suitable alias for old applications (or just librrd)
and something like

In any case, congratulations for yet another successful branch and
stable release :-)
RRDtool is one of the most useful tools in the monitoring realm and we
owe it to you. Thanks.

Regards,

    Jose