[rrd-developers] rrdcached daemonize failed, exiting

kevin brintnall kbrint at rufus.net
Wed Sep 24 16:57:06 CEST 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 06:45:27AM +0200, Tobi Oetiker wrote:
>> How about this..  if a base directory is specified (-b <base>) and a command
>> comes in with an absolute <path>, then enforce:
>>
>> 	<path> starts with <base>/
>
> that sounds fine yes.

One problem with the current setup is that users expect to refer to a file
with relative paths.  In otherwords, it's expected that these two things
do the same:

	rrdtool update file.rrd N:...
	rrdtool update $PWD/file.rrd N:...

However, the daemon will treat these two differently (since the key
comparison function in the daemon is strictly strcmp()).

So, I'd like to propose the following:

 * the daemon ONLY accepts fully qualified paths (path[0]=='/')

 * rrdc_* functions always use realpath() to convert to absolute path
   before sending to daemon

 * change the meaning of -b from "rrdcached will convert your paths" to
   "this is the only place you can write"

I've had to be cautious to refer to files by full path in my testing..  I
think this would make things much more DWIM.

Let me know what you guys think.

--
 kevin brintnall =~ /kbrint at rufus.net/