[rrd-developers] rrdcached daemonize failed, exiting

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Wed Sep 24 20:32:47 CEST 2008

Hi Kevin,
[...]
> So, I'd like to propose the following:
>
>  * the daemon ONLY accepts fully qualified paths (path[0]=='/')

yes

>  * rrdc_* functions always use realpath() to convert to absolute path
>    before sending to daemon
yes

>  * change the meaning of -b from "rrdcached will convert your paths" to
>    "this is the only place you can write"
>
> I've had to be cautious to refer to files by full path in my testing..  I
> think this would make things much more DWIM.

the only snag I can see with this is that if we imagine a
server that exposes rrdcached over the network for remote update.
There I think it would be much cleaner if everything was relative
to the -b root since the update clients do not have to know where
on the server the rrds are actually stored.

this is different for access via the domain socket where the local
rrdtool instances have to know where the files are physically and
so it makes sense when the rrdcached presents an aequivalent view.

how abou letting the client decide if it wants to present a real
path or a logical path. Remote clients could then present a logical
path and local one a real path.