[rrd-developers] rrdcached shutdown

Hamish Marson hamish at travellingkiwi.com
Fri Sep 26 09:38:35 CEST 2008

Quoting Sebastian Harl <sh at tokkee.org>:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 08:35:12PM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
>> Today kevin brintnall wrote:
>> > Currently the daemon can take a long time to shut down, because it flushes
>> > all updates out to RRDs...  If it's part of a system shutdown, then it
>> > will likely take too long and receive a SIGKILL.
>
> Imho, the init script should take care of that and wait for the daemon
> to shut down completely. The same applies for the rrdtool plugin of
> collectd as well (in fact, the caching code in collectd is very similar
> to the rrdcached implementation; it was written by the same person after
> all ;-)) - see [1] for the Debian collectd init script that handles long
> shutdown times.

Sorry, I've been lurking & not contributing... Is it possible to have
the daemon log what it's doing as it's shutting down, and how much it
has left to go. That way the init script could monitor that to make
sure that the daemon is actually shutting down and not simply hungup
somewhere...

Then the init script can simply SIGKILL if the daemon isn't actually
doing anything, and (Possibly) run it again to simply flush the journal.