[rrd-developers] rrdcached shutdown

Bernard Li bernard at vanhpc.org
Fri Sep 26 23:24:34 CEST 2008

Hi Florian:

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 2:00 AM, Florian Forster
<rrdtool at nospam.verplant.org> wrote:

> sorry, didn't follow that, so please excuse me if this has been answered
> elsewhere. What's the matter with permissions?
>
> I'd create a group `rrdcached' and put both, the `rrdcached' damon and
> the webserver into that group. (Assuming that you use some CGI to greate
> graphs on the fly.)
>
> After that you just have to assure that the `rrdcached' group has write
> permissions to the socket. I think setting the umask to `0002' before
> starting the daemon should do the trick.
>
> Explicitly configuring the desired permissions would be nice to have,
> though. I don't have a good idea how this could be specified on the
> command line, especially since the `-l' option can be repeated..

This is a good idea and was what I was planning to do.  For Ganglia,
we would just put both apache and ganglia users in the rrdcached
group.

I guess I could potentially add the rrdcached user/group creation in
the RPM spec file.

BTW it sounds like you have already some ideas about the rrdcached
init script -- do you want to go ahead and code that?  I could then
put it into the spec file as well.

I wonder if we should ship rrdcached in the standard rrdtool
distribution RPM, or should we have a subpackage called
rrdtool-rrdcached which will include all the extra stuff which comes
with rrdcached.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bernard