[rrd-developers] rrdcached shutdown

Florian Forster rrdtool at nospam.verplant.org
Fri Sep 26 11:00:40 CEST 2008

Hi Bernard,

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 02:55:08PM -0700, Bernard Li wrote:
> Not sure if you followed one of our conversations but basically with
> Ganglia, it looks like we need to do some hackery with the Unix domain
> socket ownership to support multiple user owned processes to
> communicate with rrdcached.

sorry, didn't follow that, so please excuse me if this has been answered
elsewhere. What's the matter with permissions?

I'd create a group `rrdcached' and put both, the `rrdcached' damon and
the webserver into that group. (Assuming that you use some CGI to greate
graphs on the fly.)

After that you just have to assure that the `rrdcached' group has write
permissions to the socket. I think setting the umask to `0002' before
starting the daemon should do the trick.

Explicitly configuring the desired permissions would be nice to have,
though. I don't have a good idea how this could be specified on the
command line, especially since the `-l' option can be repeated..

Regards,
-octo
--
Florian octo Forster