[rrd-developers] implementing portable format

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Tue Apr 7 21:05:30 CEST 2009

Hi Bernahard,

Today Bernhard Reutner-Fischer wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 10:08:06AM +0100, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
>
> >This sounds like quite a bit of added complexity. It would
> >require us to be able to convert from all platforms to all other
> >platforms ... I have the feeling that adding one new format with
> >the ability to read the old one already puts quite something on our
> >plate.
>
> Why didn't we use htonl(), ntohl() etc, btw?
>
> It's not that converting between "host" and "network" byte order is
> something new, ISTR..
>
> This means that we just store the data in network byte order on disk
> and read it back with ntohl(), ntohs(). This should result in
> much reduced pain, i would say.

for integers this is fine, the problem is with floats, there is no
standard ... but the code on the wiki shows 'how' they can be
converted ...

more problematic in my eyes are the whole alignment struct
alignments ...

but if we can come up with a code structure that is 'so cool' that
rrdtool can handle all 'known' native formats, then this would
certainly be the most 'friendly' solutions of all ...

it could still create new files in a commmon format, users would
never have to convert their old files ...