[rrd-developers] [rrd] Why / How / When is version 1.2 developed?

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Wed Apr 8 07:38:06 CEST 2009

Yesterday Thorsten von Eicken wrote:

> Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> > in any event, I have no fundamental objections against including the
> > fetch stuff in 1.4 if we come to a good solution regarding the
> > things I mentioned, without further delaying 1.4 ... this does
> > include the authentication stuff ...
> Why is the authentication stuff suddenly required? I'm probably missing
> something, but there isn't anything fundamentally being added to the existing
> rrdcached functionality that suddenly would require authentication, is there?
> Yes, auth would be a nice feature in general, but it's orthogonal to fetch,
> isn't it?
> Thorsten

:-) on a purely tech level it is orthagonal I agree.

BUT ...

I have been telling people about the daemon feature at recent talks
and the auth question came up often ... the reason fetch is tipping
the scale for me is that with this functionality rrdcached goes
from a 'submit only' server to a 'read/write' server ... and
providing something read/write over the network without
authentication is a recepie for trouble in my book. and after all,
it is my name associated with rrdtool ...

I am sure create / delete / tune ... will follow shortly ...