[rrd-developers] Platform-specific issues with old libraries (was: Preview for updated RRDTool PHP extension and userland wrapper)

Benny Baumann BenBE at geshi.org
Mon Aug 24 17:30:23 CEST 2009

Hi,

Am 24.08.2009 16:49, schrieb D. Walsh:
> There is an issue with RRD files generated on PPC machines examined on
> an x86 machine and vice-versa.
I guess you mean something like this?
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool-trac/wiki/PortableRrdFormat

The only thing you could do about this was writing a conversion tool
that could read RRD files and convert them to your native format. The
easier way was rrd_dumping them on one platform and examining the RRD
files after reimporting the XML dump on the target platform.
> Originally I had intentions of correcting this issue however since I
> am designing for vendor specific, a version requirement of 1.0.49 is
> explicitly required.
rrd_dump and rrd_restore should have existed back than I guess ;-)?
> I tried to discuss this with Tobi (adding 32/64 bit support) to the
> older library however he was unwilling and since then I have done
> little with the wrapper.
Well, I (as maintainer of GeSHi) can understand Tobi that he doesn't
like to integrate backported features into obsolete versions. The work
isn't worth the effort; yet I guess patches appreciated ;-) I avoid
backporting myself as much as possible; in fact this wrapper more or
less requires librrd v1.3.999 (recent SVN trunk versions) to run as it
uses some features from there (recently added due to my askings).
> If you can do anything to get the older 1.0.49 library to work with
> 32/64bit generated files (I believe it's just size issues) I would be
> more than happy to help you with the PHP extension.
Not only size issues. PPC and x86 use different Endianisms and if I got
the workings on the Portable RRD Fileformat page I linked above right,
even some differences with NaNs. Also the size of int (favouritely used
in those old RRD versions) is heavily dependent on the system you
compiled for.

Regards,
BenBE.