[rrd-developers] Preview for updated RRDTool PHP extension and userland wrapper

Benny Baumann BenBE at geshi.org
Mon Aug 24 18:28:08 CEST 2009

Hi,
>>> btw if you are happy to contribute this for the rrdtool mainline, I
>>> will be happy to integrate it ...
>>>
>> The extension part is ready so far (no major known bugs left IMHO), so
>> feel free to include it (ext subdirectory). It's basically a binding for
>> librrd against PHP, so should go to the bindings directory. Build as
>> mentioned in the previous message.
>>
> great ... have quickly unpacked the tool, but from what is in the
> ext directory it is not clear to me how this is best to build ...

You just change into the ext/src direcotry and than execute
phpize && ./configure && make
Then you get the compiled extension for PHP in the Modules subdirectory
(created by those commands).
> also, I guess php wants all the extensions installed into the
> 'main tree' or is there a sensible way to have the shared object in
> the rrdtool install tree and add it to the php module search path ?

You can ask PHP to use multiple directories to look for its extensions
using the php.ini, but best is to use the 'main tree' of PHP to install
it. This is usually done using make install
> for the other bindings we offer a configure switch that lets the
> user decide where the so should go to ...

After make has run you just need to copy it where you want it to be or
run make install if it's to be installed to the PHP main place. There
should be options to choose that place though - just look at the
generated configure of phpize. HTH.
> cheers
> tobi

Cheers,