[rrd-developers] Building rrdtool v1.3.8 on win32 with MinGW32

Barrie0482 barrie0482 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 14:15:59 CEST 2009

I am working on writing a "rrdtool build howto" for win32. My motive for this
is to be able to use the ruby  rrdtool bindings on a windows  platform. My
aim is for this process to be easily repeatable for others to follow as new
versions of rrdtool are released.

I have set up the contrib directory as detailed in WIN32-BUILD-TIPS.txt. I
am trying to compile rrdtool v1.3.8 using MinGW32 based on the Makefile in
the Win32 directory. I have modified the
http://n2.nabble.com/file/n3169682/Makefile Makefile  to reflect this.

When I run make I get the following.

$ make
Creating release/version.inc
Creating rrd_config.h
Compiling ./src/rrd_getopt1.c
./src/rrd_getopt1.c:88: error: conflicting types for 'getopt_long'
./src/rrd_getopt.h:118: error: previous declaration of 'getopt_long' was
here
./src/rrd_getopt1.c:88: error: conflicting types for 'getopt_long'
./src/rrd_getopt.h:118: error: previous declaration of 'getopt_long' was
here
./src/rrd_getopt1.c:116: error: conflicting types for 'getopt_long_only'
./src/rrd_getopt.h:124: error: previous declaration of 'getopt_long_only'
was here
./src/rrd_getopt1.c:116: error: conflicting types for 'getopt_long_only'
./src/rrd_getopt.h:124: error: previous declaration of 'getopt_long_only'
was here
make: *** [release/rrd_getopt1.o] Error 1

I suspect something is defined that shouldn't be, but I have no idea where
to start. I have tried commenting out the non WIN32 defines but ended up
confusing myself. Very easy to do.:-)

I do not have the C skills to do much debugging. I am trying to document the
process.

In a mail from Tobi he said:

what would be ideal for me, is a way to run an rrdtool compile for win32
from the commandline ... then I could create releases in the normal relase
process ...

Any assistance appreciated.

Cheers, Barrie