[rrd-developers] [rrd-users] rrdtool php extension

Benny Baumann BenBE at geshi.org
Fri Sep 4 16:57:17 CEST 2009

Hi,

after a short discussion with Rick off-list we ran into a small issue
with BC with the latest php_rrdtool extension where I'm not quite sure
how older versions handled it.

Since 1.2.27 to 1.3.999 there seem to be some changes for:
- DNAN (where's that in older versions? rrd_nan something missing?)
- The rrd_info interface seems to miss some definitions (the mentioned
RD_I_constants, where are they?)

What has to be done to make the ext compatible with 1.2.27?

Am 04.09.2009 15:41, schrieb Rick Dicaire:
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 9:18 AM, Benny Baumann<BenBE at geshi.org> wrote:
>
>> In file included from /usr/local/include/php/ext/rrdtool/rrdtool.c:40:
>> /usr/local/include/php/ext/rrdtool/php_rrdtool.h:75:28: warning: no
>> newline at end of file
>>
> Adding a newline stopped the warning.

I missed that in my version; added it locally now.
>> According to my rrd.h header you should have something like this:
>>
> My $RRDTOOL/include/rrd.h has no references to DNAN or RD_I*

Maybe Tobi can help out here ...
>> You might try using a more recent version of rrdtool or look into
>> /usr/include/ for those declarations.
>>
> Switching to rrdtool 1.3 isn't really an option, unless 1.2.30 has the
> functions your module needs.
> I'm currently using 1.2.27.

Usually everything except rrd_dump from the extension should work before
1.3.999 as rrd_dump uses the rrd_dump_cb_r function introduced recently
(in 1.3.999). For earlier versions rrd_dump simply returns false for
every request. All other functions usually should work.
> The version of php_rrdtool that built successfully, but segfaults on
> commandline, is the one found in contrib/ on the rrdtool download
> page.

hmmm, that one worked for me just fine (Debian Testing, RRDTool 1.3.8,
PHP 5.2.10)

As asked previously a backtrace with enabled debug symbols might help
solve the mystery where it crashed.

Regards,
BenBE.