[rrd-developers] RRDCacheD - Client rewriting path

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Wed Sep 30 21:03:19 CEST 2009

Hi Tobi,

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 09:50:57AM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Saturday Sebastian Harl wrote:
> > Well, I'd try to keep behavior consistent when talking to the daemon,
> > i.e. something along the lines of the new file-name syntax proposed
> > earlier (by Florian iIrc). In short: specify that you're talking to the
> > daemon and then use relative path names (relative to the daemon's base
> > directory).
>
> the whole pathname encoding as it is already present with the dbi
> patch is the way I would like to go ... but not in 1.4 since there
> are other issues with the call interface that I would like to
> address at the same time ... named versus positional arguments in
> rrdgraph for example ...

Imho, improving the API is mostly orthogonal to changing the way files
are accessed since the parsing of the new file-name syntax can already
be done with the current interface as well.

Anyway - back to the original problem: So, what are your plans for the
future? Maybe, I'm missing something that you have in mind that makes my
doubts vanish. How would you like to handle access to some remote daemon
in the future? Most notably, do you want to continue supporting the way
it's implemented at the moment, i.e. by letting the client rewrite the
path name (to generate an absolute pathname) and thus forcing the user
to use the same file system layout on the client as on the server side?
If that's not what you want (and I seriously hope that this is the
case), then why not fix that now and thus remove the burden to somehow
handle a transition in the future? Or do you have some kind of
transition in mind that would be easy and straight-forward?

Cheers,
Sebastian