[rrd-developers] RRDCacheD - Client rewriting path

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Wed Sep 30 22:53:31 CEST 2009

Today Sebastian Harl wrote:

> Hi Tobi,
>
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 09:50:57AM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> > Saturday Sebastian Harl wrote:
> > > Well, I'd try to keep behavior consistent when talking to the daemon,
> > > i.e. something along the lines of the new file-name syntax proposed
> > > earlier (by Florian iIrc). In short: specify that you're talking to the
> > > daemon and then use relative path names (relative to the daemon's base
> > > directory).
> >
> > the whole pathname encoding as it is already present with the dbi
> > patch is the way I would like to go ... but not in 1.4 since there
> > are other issues with the call interface that I would like to
> > address at the same time ... named versus positional arguments in
> > rrdgraph for example ...
>
> Imho, improving the API is mostly orthogonal to changing the way files
> are accessed since the parsing of the new file-name syntax can already
> be done with the current interface as well.
>
> Anyway - back to the original problem: So, what are your plans for the
> future? Maybe, I'm missing something that you have in mind that makes my
> doubts vanish. How would you like to handle access to some remote daemon
> in the future? Most notably, do you want to continue supporting the way
> it's implemented at the moment, i.e. by letting the client rewrite the
> path name (to generate an absolute pathname) and thus forcing the user
> to use the same file system layout on the client as on the server side?
> If that's not what you want (and I seriously hope that this is the
> case), then why not fix that now and thus remove the burden to somehow
> handle a transition in the future? Or do you have some kind of
> transition in mind that would be easy and straight-forward?

Hi Sebastian,

what I would do now, is this:

* If the client is called on a local daemon  with a relative
  pathname, the path name gets rewritten.

* If the client is called on a remote daemon with a relative path
  name, the client aborts with an error since rewriting the path
  for remote calls makes not sense.

in 1.5 there would be a special rrd file name syntax to specify
whether you mean to access a local rrd or one managed by a daemon
be it remote or local.