[rrd-developers] rrdcached: to mmap or not to mmap

Thorsten von Eicken tve at voneicken.com
Tue Aug 10 07:30:30 CEST 2010

I'm again trying to push the limit of rrdtool, specifically when using
rrdcached. As long as the RRD working set fits in memory the performance
is great. The fun begins when the RRD working set no longer fits in
memory and disk reads start to be significant. One question I have is
whether one should turn MMAP off (--disable-mmap) when operating servers
in that regime in Linux. The rationale for turning it off is that
rrdcached can be configured with multiple flush threads that can do
concurrent read-modify-writes and, if I understand mmap and pthreads
correctly, if I use mmap then one thread hitting a missing page blocks
the entire process for the duration of the page fault, while without
mmap one read hitting a missing block will only block that thread. Am I
wrong?
Cheers,
Thorsten