[rrd-developers] Patch for read only access for i386 on x86_64 and x86_64 on i386

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Tue Mar 9 08:11:38 CET 2010

Hi Camilo,

Mar 1 Camilo Viecco wrote:

> Hello list
>
> At work we have a large archive rrdfiles crerated on i386 and we need to
> use x86_64 on some newer machines. Long story short  I needed to access
> both 64 bit data from 32 bit hosts and vice versa. Since the common data
> format is still pending I created this patches to solve my problem. I am
> posting to the list with the hope thay are useful.
>
> these are intel specific patches I know they are of limited use. Next
> step is to have updates working correctly on both architectures.

have you had a look at
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool-trac/wiki/PortableRrdFormat

my goal is to have an abstraction in the code regarding the on-disk
format. The first goal is to have a common data format on all
platforms plus the ability to update/read the old native format of
the platform. But even cooler would be to make it so that formats
of different platforms would become accessible.

looking at your code, you seem to have some good insights into how
to wrestle something like this into shape.

on another note, have you considered running a 32bit version of
rrdtool on your x86_64 platform ?