[rrd-developers] RRD Web 2.0 style Demo Java Web Application

Peter Stamfest peter at stamfest.at
Thu Nov 4 11:12:36 CET 2010

Dipl.-Ing. Peter Stamfest     UNIX, Networking & Computing Consultant
Tel: +43/699/10711205         Software Development - Internetservices
E-Mail: peter at stamfest.at     WWW: http://stamfest.at/

Bernard Li <bernard at vanhpc.org> schrieb am 04.11.2010 08:37:34:

> Hi Peter:
>
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 12:28 AM, Peter Stamfest <peter at stamfest.at>
wrote:

> > I have now whipped up a demo Java Webapp (in the form of a WAR file)
> > integrating these two technologies. The implementation is
dual-licensed (GPL
> > or commercially for my own projects). Consulting on these things is of
> > course possible ;-)
>
> I hope this is not asking for too much, but any chance you could put
> the demo online somewhere so that I can just see what it looks like
> without having to install anything? :)

I wouldn't call it "asking too much" - it is rather an absolutely
reasonable request. So let me explain a little more:

The Webapp has only one page with a textarea input field, where you can
enter RRD graph arguments. The graph then gets generated from the
resulting commandline and is displayed on the same page. You can then
interact with the graph.

I did not put it onto one of my machines for the following reasons:

* it has no security, currently (you have to use some "DEF", accessing a
file on the server, after all). Thus it requires at least one RRD file to
be around - and that should have "recent" data. So I would need to add
some RRD file update mechanism...

* if the general public would access such a demo, it might become a CPU
nightmare on that poor machine.

* plus the demo is much less impressive if there is some high latency
network in between the server and the browser. So you should really try it
on a LAN

So - for the time being, I really cannot give you a "live" demo
installation...

peter