[rrd-users] Re: spikes or junk in rrd files

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Tue Dec 14 22:14:09 MET 1999

Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] spikes or junk in rrd files:

deleted some 'irrelevant' and 'wrong'  measures (shifting the log entry
times is W*R*O*N*G !!! DOn't do that EVER ...

*> As a last resort, I put limits (min,max values) into my rrds.  This hasn't
*> worked either.

putting limits in is absolutly essential because of the way we get data
from the routers it may be that the counters in the wrouters have wrapped
due to reboots and such ... so as long as you don't specify limits I can't
help you ...

OK, now you say you have added the limits ... are you saing that you are
getting NEW spikes into the logfiles AFTER setting the limits ? And are the
spikes beiond the limits ?

In that case I would be very interested in looking at the numbers you are
feeding to your rrdtool ... as this would allow to debug the problem ...

could you setup you data aquisition system to store the data it goes into
the rrd? And then once you get the spike send me the data from about one hor
before the spike and one houre after the spike ...

thanks for your help

cheers
tobi