[rrd-users] Re: newbie CF query

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Tue Jul 20 16:38:26 MEST 1999

Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] newbie CF query:

*> I've been happily using MRTG for a while, but ended up writing a similar
*> program myself to handle daily stats.
*>
*> I needed to create various graphs of daily stats, and consolidate on
*> day/week/month/year using average/max/min/total.
*>
*> RRD looks fantastic, but I don't see 'total' mentioned as a CF in the
*> docs...
*>
*> For example, and ISP wanting to see 'total billed minutes for 1 week'
*> could not use RRD.

simply build the average and multiply with time ...

*> Then, what if you deliberately wanted to lower the resolution of the
*> graph - 'average daily temperature' could be done using 'rrdfetch' but
*> not 'rrdgraph' unless you only wanted 1-pixel per day!

this is a feature pending for 1.1.x

*> I know people always want programs to do things they were not designed to
*> do, but am I missing anything obvious?

well partly :-)

cheers
tobi

--