[rrd-users] rough day trying to set up rrdtool/cricket

Rob Windsor windsor at adc.com
Wed Jul 21 18:31:50 MEST 1999

[I apologize for hitting both lists, but I'm not exactly sure which tool does
the snmp chatter.  -- Rob ]

Heyyo,

After fighting perl modules, BerkeleyDB, and the lack of caffeine all day
yesterday, I still haven't gotten rrdtool/cricket to behave.

Configuration info:
    Solaris 2.6/sparc
    perl 5.004001 (upgrading to 5.004_004 would take some effort since
                   perl is deeply rooted in our environment)
    latest required perl modules as of yesterday
    I was following the steps in cricket's doc/beginner.txt...

First up, I have to put the FQDN in the config file.  This is more annoying
than 'broken', but I'd rather not have to do that.

Secondly, where can I hardcode the 'home directory' for cricket so that I
don't have to create a new user?  I'm currently running mrtg as myself and I
really don't want to create *yet* *another* application-specific account on
our systems.  (My temporary fix is by doing "HOME=/foo ../compile")  This is
probably a simple thing to chase down, but I haven't had a chance to do it yet
and figured that I would ask while I'm here.

Thirdly (and most importantly), I get the following, regardless of whether I
point it at a solaris box (yeah, I know Solaris 2.6 smpdx is less than
optimum) or either of our two NetApps:

[20-Jul-1999 17:55:18*] Received SNMP response with error code noSuchName
[20-Jul-1999 17:55:18 ] Got:
[20-Jul-1999 17:55:18 ] Retrieved data for na1.bbg.adc.com (): U,U,U,U

Thanks in advance.

obtw, 'hi' to fellow former-Synopsys-ites.

-- Rob
Rob Windsor                            E-Mail - mailto:windsor at adc.com
Senior Unix Systems Administrator      Voice  -  phone:972-680-6919
Computer Services                      Fax    -  phone:972-680-0370
Business Broadband Group                                         __o
ADC Telecommunications                                         _`\<,_
Richardson, TX  75082                                         (_)/ (_)