[rrd-users] Re: RRD and fetching

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Thu Jul 22 22:00:34 MEST 1999

Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] RRD and fetching:

*> Hello,
*>
*> I am setting up a script that does some analyzing on data over a
*> specified amount of time, in various RRD files. I've been using
*> RRDs::fetch to get to the data, however there are one or two things I'd
*> like to see..
*>
*> o RRDs::fetch will only get values within a limited time range (with 300s
*> step). This forces me to parse RRDp output (which isn't so nice..)
*> instead, when I want to go further back in time.
*>
*> o It would be nice to call a function that returns only the MAX or AVERAGE
*> (whichever is specified) _overall value_ for some specified time range (be
*> it -5min, -10h or -1m). Of course it would be nice to have this in RRDs..
*> The motivation for this would be that I won't have to sum or compare the
*> output lists, or even care about values that weren't specified in some
*> sampling periods. And doing sums/comparisons on a lower level would be
*> significantly faster.

I am not quite sure what you are trying todo, but cant you use PRINT in
rrdtool graph for your purpose ?

cheers
tobi
*>
*>
*> Any thoughts, have I overlooked something obvious?
*> (Maybe these new functions/changes will be harder to implement now that
*> rrdtool has gone release(1.0.0), but I do have some hope that it can be
*> done.. =)
*>
*> (Good work Tobi, I'll send you a cd soon :)
*> cheers,
*>

--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, Timelord & SysMgr @ EE-Dept ETH-Zurich