[rrd-users] Re: reset counter produces ugly results

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Fri Jul 30 23:03:22 MEST 1999

Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] reset counter produces ugly...:

*> Dave> I have one problem.  When the server application is restarted, the
*> Dave> counters are all zeroed.  This causes the RRD to assume that the
*> Dave> counter has rolled over at some specific word size and compute the
*> Dave> average throughput based on that assumption.
*>
*> <snip>...
*>
*> Dave> since the actual data is far closer to 1Mbps, the graphs still look
*> Dave> horrible.  MRTG never had this problem.
*>
*> Dave> Is there a work around?
*>
*> Tobias> only by using some external hack which checks the router uptime ...
*>
*> But why doesn't this problem affect MRTG?

this problem should affect mrtg as well given you reset your counter at the
right time ...

cheers
tobi
*>
*> Dave
*>
*> --
*> * To unsubscribe from the rrd-users mailing list, send a message with the
*>   subject: unsubscribe to rrd-users-request at list.ee.ethz.ch
*>
*>

--