[rrd-users] Re: Spikes?

Sasha Mikheev sasha at aldan.netvision.net.il
Thu Nov 4 13:49:24 MET 1999

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Tobias Oetiker wrote:

> Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] Re: Spikes? :
>
> *>
> *> Hi,
> *>
> *> I have a modified rrd_graph.c with moving average, standard
> *> deviation and percentiles and a few other things. Unfortunately I am too
> *> lazy to integrate these changes properly but if there is an intrest I can
> *> send you source.
>
> as for the integration of such a feature I would like to see a new function
> called
Moving average nicely fits into CDEF format since it computes average
of N previous data points. N is computed based on time.
For example CDEF:av=x,3600,MAVG will produce moving average of variable
x over last hour.

> MASSAGE:abc=function:parameter1:parameter2
A slightly different  approach is to define aggregate function type.
That is f(var, var2, ... varn, parameter1, param2, ... ) -> value.
Whe used in PRINT it will return a value. When used in CDEF it will
creade a new constant(=value) datasource. Average, sum, stddev, percentiles
are good examples of such functions.

--
 Sasha Mikheev                      Linux -- put a penguin in your processor

 System Manager at Netvision Israel, Ltd
 Tel  +972-4-8560600
 http://aldan.netvision.net.il/~sasha