[rrd-users] Re: Choosing which RRA to graph

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Fri Oct 1 16:41:17 MEST 1999

Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] Choosing which RRA to graph:

*> > Hi all
*> >
*> > I'm new to rrdtool, though I've been using mrtg for quite some time.  I'm
*> > now struggling to do something which was easy in mrtg: graph averages and
*> > maxima on the same graph (or even on different graphs).
*> >
*> > My RRD contains RRAs for averages and maxima (over identical time
*> > periods), but I'm unsure how rrdtool graph picks which one to draw.  At
*> > first I thought the CF parameter to rrdtool graph determined which RRA to
*> > use, but on closer reading of the man page:
*> >
*> > "The DEF call automatically chooses an RRA which provides data in a
*> > resolution appropriate... If the resolution of the RRA is higher ... the
*> > data ... will be consolidated according to the consolidation function
*> > chosen"
*> >
*> > In other words, rrdtool graph first picks an RRA based on the time scale,
*> > and then consolidates the data if necessary.  So it seems there's no way
*> > to control which RRA is chosen when several RRAs have the same resolution,
*> > or to graph additional RRAs.

all this is within the group of RRAs sharing the same CF ... now if you have
only one RRA for each CF then there is not much choosing going on ... :-)

cheers
tobi
*> >
*> > I think maybe I'm missing something conceptual, can someone please
*> > explain?
*> >
*> > Thanks
*> > Bryan
*> >
*>
*> --
*> * To unsubscribe from the rrd-users mailing list, send a message with the
*>   subject: unsubscribe to rrd-users-request at list.ee.ethz.ch
*>
*>

--