[rrd-users] Re: Choosing which RRA to graph

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Fri Oct 1 17:12:47 MEST 1999

Today you sent me mail regarding RE: [rrd-users] Re: Choosing which RRA to...:

*> >all this is within the group of RRAs sharing the same CF ... now if you
*> have
*> >only one RRA for each CF then there is not much choosing going on ... :-)
*> >..
*>
*> So are you (and Alex) saying that the CF parameter to rrdtool graph will
*> pick an RRA with the corresponding consolidation function?  Ie,
*>
*> Find the RRA with the best resolution *AND* matching CF, and then
*> performing further consolidation using the CF if necessary

exactly .,..
*>
*> I didn't think that was clear from the docs, though of course it's the
*> sensible behavior.
*>
*> I just satisfied myself that it does work this way by trying to graph a CF
*> for which no RRA exists.  rrdtool complains "the RRD does not contain an RRA
*> matching the chosen CF".

:-) ... apropos, If you want to submit a patch for the docs, which would
explain this in a more apropriate manner I would be very happy ... just edit
the *.pod files and send me the diff or even the whole file ...

cheers
tobi
*>
*> Great, thanks!