[rrd-users] Re: Forcing Y axis of graphs to autoscale with a minimum range

steve rader rader at teak.wiscnet.net
Fri Oct 15 22:15:55 MEST 1999

 > *> So I'd like to set up RRD::GRAPHs so that the Y axis
 > *>
 > *>  - ranges from zero through one when all data is < 1
 > *>
 > *>  - ranges from zero through N when some data is > 1 (autoscale)
 > *>
 > *> I've played around with --lower-limit and --rigid but haven't came
 > *> up with a solution.
 > *>
 > *> Is this possible?

 > From: Tobias Oetiker
 > sure but don't use lower-limit and rigid, use --upper-limit 1.0

Ahh, okay.

I hadn't even considered --upper-limit: "man rrdgraph" reads
"the maximum value to be graphed".  Yet if I use "--upper-limit
1.0" the "maximum value" graphed appears to be the value of the
data point with the largest value.  (In other words, the graph
autoscales from 0 to N for N > 1 instead of 0 to N for N > 0.)

To a native english speaker it seems that "--upper-limit" is not
the upper limit but rather the "--minimum-upper-limit".  Yuck.
Me thinks english really sucks compared to perl.

later
steve
- - -
systems guy