[rrd-users] Re: Spurious averages being reported

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Fri Sep 10 08:52:59 MEST 1999

Yesterday you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] Spurious averages being...:

*> I'm having a lot of trouble when the counters on my routers/machines
*> roll around and am getting averages of up to 100MBits.
*>
*> IE  the counter gets to 4 billion odd, wraps, and the graphs show
*> nothing but a HUGE spike  (the average speed is usually about 100kbit to
*> 1mbit on any interface.
*>
*> Also, if a machine is turned off and then on, the counter is reset, and
*> the same problem occurs.
*>
*> What can I do to fix this?

a) make sure you set min and max values for your rrds either when creating
or with tune ...

b) one the limits are set you can do a dump restore cycle and have restore
check for invalid entries in the rrds ..

normal counter wraps btw should be recognized by rrdtool and handled
gracefully ...
*>
*> Graeme
*>
*> --
*> * To unsubscribe from the rrd-users mailing list, send a message with the
*>   subject: unsubscribe to rrd-users-request at list.ee.ethz.ch
*>
*>

--