[rrd-users] how 'bout multiple DS updates with same time?!

steve rader rader at teak.wiscnet.net
Fri Sep 10 18:37:29 MEST 1999

Hello all,

I'm working on migrating a large mrtg install to rrdtool so I'm
writing a generic data collection scripts for rrdtool.  It uses
"snmpget".  In the normal case, (traffic graphing via ifInOctets
and ifOutOctets), the script will do two snmpgets.

These two snmpgets may or may not happen at the same time.
For simplicity of coding, I'd like my script to be able to do

  rrdtool update SomeSuch.rrd -t input 936979364:2142776862
  rrdtool update SomeSuch.rrd -t output 936979364:2223791710

However, the later "rrdtool update" fails:

  ERROR: illegal attempt to update using time 936979364 when last \
  update time is 936979364 (minimum one second step)

So, IMHO, think it would be a Good Thing if rrdtool would keep
"last update times" for *each* DS and also would allow individual
DS updates with the same time.  What do y'all think?

(In other words, sometimes data collectors will want to update DS
values gotten separately but at the same timestamp.  I would be
very nice if data collectors could just blindly stuff DS values
into rrdtool without having to worry about the timestamps for
each DS.)

To me, this sounds like a good idea.  But I realize that, if
this involves significant changes to rrdtool and/or it'd db
format, then rrdtool should be left alone and this issue should
be handled by data collectors.

later
steve
- - -