[rrd-users] Re: how 'bout multiple DS updates with same time?!

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Fri Sep 24 06:56:24 MEST 1999

Sep 10 you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] how 'bout multiple DS updates...:

*>
*> Hello all,
*>
*> I'm working on migrating a large mrtg install to rrdtool so I'm
*> writing a generic data collection scripts for rrdtool.  It uses
*> "snmpget".  In the normal case, (traffic graphing via ifInOctets
*> and ifOutOctets), the script will do two snmpgets.
*>
*> These two snmpgets may or may not happen at the same time.
*> For simplicity of coding, I'd like my script to be able to do
*>
*>   rrdtool update SomeSuch.rrd -t input 936979364:2142776862
*>   rrdtool update SomeSuch.rrd -t output 936979364:2223791710
*>
*> However, the later "rrdtool update" fails:
*>
*>   ERROR: illegal attempt to update using time 936979364 when last \
*>   update time is 936979364 (minimum one second step)
*>
*> So, IMHO, think it would be a Good Thing if rrdtool would keep
*> "last update times" for *each* DS and also would allow individual
*> DS updates with the same time.  What do y'all think?

*>
*> (In other words, sometimes data collectors will want to update DS
*> values gotten separately but at the same timestamp.  I would be
*> very nice if data collectors could just blindly stuff DS values
*> into rrdtool without having to worry about the timestamps for
*> each DS.)
*>
*> To me, this sounds like a good idea.  But I realize that, if
*> this involves significant changes to rrdtool and/or it'd db
*> format, then rrdtool should be left alone and this issue should
*> be handled by data collectors.
*>

I will certainly look carefully at a patch which adds this feature ... but
there ar a number of fundamental roblems to solve in the process ... check
out the database format to see how it is setup ... just imagine how to cross
a primary time point when not all dses have been updated ...

but don't thret ... for your loosly opled data I would sugest to use a
separate rrd for each ds anyway ... this will prvide all the flexibility you
want ...

cheers
tobi
*> later
*> steve
*> - - -
*> systems guy
*> wiscnet.net
*>
*> --
*> * To unsubscribe from the rrd-users mailing list, send a message with the
*>   subject: unsubscribe to rrd-users-request at list.ee.ethz.ch
*>
*>

--