[rrd-users] Re: how 'bout multiple DS updates with same time?!

steve rader rader at teak.wiscnet.net
Fri Sep 24 17:24:43 MEST 1999

 > From: Tobias Oetiker

Hi Tobi,

 > I will certainly look carefully at a patch which adds this feature
 > ... but
 > there ar a number of fundamental roblems to solve in the process ... check
 > out the database format to see how it is setup ... just imagine how to cro
 > ss
 > a primary time point when not all dses have been updated ...
 >
 > but don't thret ... for your loosly opled data I would sugest to use a
 > separate rrd for each ds anyway ... this will prvide all the flexibility
 > you
 > want ...

Ahh, yea, I fully agree.  And I would go so far as to claim that
(for example) ifInOctets and ifOutOctets are, by definition,
loosely coupled data because they are gotten via seperate
snmpgets.

Perhaps a few sentences in the doc mentioning this situation
would be more efficient and desirable than actually adding
this feature?!  (I'd rather see the "big issues" with RRDtool
addressed rather than having time spent writing code that can
be, imo, somewhat elegantly "worked-around.")

The tact I'm taking now is to just fudge the update times:
since I put a 5 second timeout on executing my collection
scripts, the fudge factor is less than 1.6% (5/300).  If the
network is hosed enough to cause a five second, graphing NaN
is a-okay.

later
steve
- - -