[rrd-users] Re: problems with rrd graph in lazy mode

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Tue Apr 18 12:08:06 MEST 2000

Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] problems with rrd graph in...:

*> I'm trying to build a system based on mrtg and rrd (v1.0.17) that just
*> collects data and generates the graphs on demand. I have installed
*> mrtg 2.8.12 as a frontend for the configuration, rrdtool as databasetool.
*> This works perfect.
*>
*> Then i took a look at 14all.cgi and deleted all that i didn't need and
*> created a png-update tool.  Different tools now create different lists of
*> device/interface combinations (based on the mrtg configs) that should be
*> updated, writes the parameters to a file and then calls the hacked script
*> to update the images if needed.
*> (14all.cgi uses the perl module version of rrdtool : RRDS.pm).
*>
*> I'm trying this out now and found a problem :
*> when updating a lot of images (e.g. 20 ports x (bits/s, errors/sec,
*> broadcasts/sec)x((daily,weekly,monthly,yearly) = 240 images) the tool
*> always fails after a certain amount of NON-updates (images that shouldn't
*> be updated - lazy option of rrd) (about 60) with the following error :
*> Cannot create graph: rrdopen can't open
*> '/usr/local/netmgt/www/swrkcb025/f07/swrkcb025-f07.p.rrd'<P>
*>
*> This happens when i specify the lazy option for the graph tool. If I omit
*> the lazy option, there is no problem but then it takes a lot longer before
*> all images for a device are updated : every image is always
*> updated.
*> I suspect there is a resource exhausting, but i don't have the
*> expertise to check the rrd source code.
*>
*> Anyone has a suggestion or solution for this problem ?

It just got to my attention that there might be a filedescriptor
leek in rrdtool ... could you try editing one of the scripts in the
examples dir to exhibit this behaviour ... this would make
debugging tyhis a breez ...

cheers
tobi
*>
*> Thanks,
*>
*> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
*> Wim Holemans                            phone + 32 3 820 22 03
*> Network/System manager                  fax   + 32 3 820 22 44
*> U.I.A.                         e-mail : wim.holemans at uia.ua.ac.be
*> University of Antwerp Belgium  http://www.uia.ua.ac.be/u/holemans
*>
*> --