[rrd-users] Re: Application of rrd

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Wed Apr 26 11:59:04 MEST 2000

Today you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] Re: Application of rrd:

*> David Arnstein wrote:
*> >
*> > I am collecting business data which I would like to graph and archive in
*> > a rrd-tool manner.
*> > However the data changes only during the business day - values remain
*> > static overnight and at weekends etc.
*>
*> This part won't cause problems.
*>
*> > I suppose I could automatically make up data points during that time
*> > (repeating the last real value), but I would like the graphing to avoid
*> > displaying the 'non -active' periods and for the statistics to ignore
*> > them.
*>
*> You can choose to display only the active parts in the day-period.
*> For the week graph, you can display from monday 08:00 to friday 18:00. You
*> can't skip (for instance) monday 18:00 to tuesday 08:00.

Folks,

I have just been discussing an interesting feature with Jakob
Ilves. He is going to inplement an option called --split this will
allow to create subsets of the graph. Eg. only the X axis or just
the graph area or only the Y axis. With this it will be possible to
assemble several on a webpage sticking the individual images
together seamlesly ...

cheers
tobi

*>
*> Not inserting data is no problem, rrdtool will insert unknowns for these
*> periods.  Your averages will probably be influenced by this.  This can be
*> checked rather easy by inserting a constant value during the active hours.
*> Let's say you choose to insert "1" as that value, from 08:00 to 18:00.
*> Most likely ( -but check this- ) you'll see that you will get an average
*> of ((18:00 - 08:00)/24) == 10/24.  You can compensate for this by using
*> CDEF arithmetics.

*>
*> regards,
*>