[rrd-users] Re: disabling interpolation? (fwd)

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Tue Aug 22 19:09:53 MEST 2000

Today you sent me mail regarding Re: [rrd-users] disabling interpolation?:

*> Tobias Oetiker wrote:
*> >
*> > Yesterday you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] disabling interpolation?:
*> >
*> > *>
*> > *> Hello,
*> > *>
*> > *> Is there a way to disable the interpolation of data that shows up at
*> > *> irregular intervals?  I have an application for which I want to record
*> > *> the maximum value reported during a step interval.  I need to record the
*> > *> actual value that was reported, regardless of when the value was
*> > *> actually reported.
*> > *>
*> > *> I assuming I've missed something obvious, since this seems like a pretty
*> > *> normal thing to do.
*> >
*> > this isnot at all normal because you are messing with the data ...
*> > rrdtool tries to be very clean in this respect ... you can force
*> > things by reporting your data always on a interval boundery ...
*>
*> It seems to me that I'm not messing with the data if what I'm reporting
*> is not continuous.  I'm reporting integer values.  When rrdtool
*> interpolates it records impossible conditions.  I.e., there are never
*> 4.76 people in a room, there are either 4 or 5.

rrdtooles you that ON AVERAGE over the last observation interval
there were 4.76 people in the room ... this is perfectly OK ... or
what do you expect to get when you count the number of people in
the room every 5 minutes and then after an hour someone asks you
how many people have been in the room during the last hour ... will
you round and say ... there were 4 or 5 people in the room ? Or
will you say, on average there were 4.76 people in the room ?

cheers
tobi
*>
*> later,