[rrd-users] RRDs::Update query

Engels, Manfred manfred.engels at cz.nl
Tue Dec 5 11:47:00 MET 2000

Hi,

I am using the function 'snmpget' from the SNMP_util version 0.71 in my Perl
program and run into some problems:

<snip>
($hrProcessorLoad) = &snmpget ( $host, $hrProcessorLoad_OID );
RRDs::update ($database, "$time:$hrProcessorLoad");
<snap>

Works fine if the host is responding and comes back with a nice number
(Processorload% in this case).

However, if, for some reason my host stops responding to the 'snmpget'
(During a crash of the server or something) a 'ZERO' get's added to the RRD
during the RRDs::update function on the next line. This ofcourse isn't
right: an UNKNOWN should be added to the database!

My questions:

- What does 'snmpget' return if it doesn't get a response ?
- How does RRDs::update handle this response (ie: Should I convert whatever
comes out of 'snmpget'  to a "U" first so RRDs:update can handle it ?)

Thanks for the help !

Manfred Engels