[rrd-users] Help! Resize difficulties.

Sean R McNamara sean.r.mcnamara at villanova.edu
Thu Dec 7 16:00:16 MET 2000

I'm in a very desperate situation here;  my rrds are out of space, and
now data is being lost; as of the moment i've lost about a month of
data, and I really cannot afford to lose anymore.   I know the resize
command, but it doesn't seem to be doing what it should be.    First
question, do you specify a DS or an RRA?    For sake of example, and to
help my understanding:

rra[0].rows = 1200   is saying that the RRA number (that would be used
in resize) is 0 -- yes?

and if a DS was or could be used:

ds[rxPeakByteRate14].type = "GAUGE"  is saying that the DS 'number' (or
name in this case) that I would use is rxPeakByteRate14, correct?

This information was taken from rrdtool info.

This will clear up which name I should be using; as in a previous post
on Tuesday, the author mentioned DS, and not RRA as written in the
documentation.   I have tried all combinations (all 96) of both DS names
and the RRA number from below though, and it doesn't seem to correct the
problem..   rra[0].rows = 1200  remains exactly the same, and the
filesize does not grow, though, rrdtool pauses for about 30 seconds
while it's doing 'something'.

Each RRD contains about 96 + 1  DSs, and there is only one RRA that I
need to pull from.   I know that's a lot, but that shouldn't cause a
problem outside of very large files, correct?

Here are some examples of the commands I have used for this

When trying to use DSs

# rrdtool resize bkup.rrd Default GROW 10000
# ls -al bkup.rrd
-rw-------   1 root     other    1814136 Dec  6 11:33 bkup.rrd
# rrdtool resize bkup.rrd Default GROW 10
# ls -al bkup.rrd
-rw-------   1 root     other    1814136 Dec  6 11:33 bkup.rrd

... etc.

Now when using the RRA number

# rrdtool resize bkup.rrd 0 GROW 1000
# ls -al bkup.rrd
-rw-------   1 root     other    1814136 Dec  6 11:33 bkup.rrd
# rrdtool resize bkup.rrd 0 GROW 10000
# ls -al bkup.rrd
-rw-------   1 root     other    1814136 Dec  6 11:33 bkup.rrd

Oh, and yes..  I know the first thing someone would wonder is:

# id
uid=0(root) gid=1(other)

and another thing that I would like to note is:

# date
Thu Dec  7 09:51:47 EST 2000

.. which means that the file is not even being written to at all
(bkup.rrd is obviously not live data, but a copy of it used to try to
figure this out)

If anyone at all can please help me, I'd appreciate it very much; thank
you everyone.

..Sean.