[rrd-users] Re: textual archiving

steve rader rader at teak.wiscnet.net
Fri Jan 7 21:58:19 MET 2000

 > From: Jason Kraft

Hi Jason,

 > I have currently implemented rrdtool 1.0.9 with nrg as my frontend.  Every
 > thing
 > works fine, but my CFO wants a textual archive of bandwidth consumption per
 > department of my company.
 >
 > My question being....how do i go about pulling out the data from the rrd
 > databases for daily averages, maxs, and mins.  Its no problem to show it
 > graphically, but textually i am in puzzlement on how to grab this data.
 >
 > Any suggestions?

In general, use

  rrdtool fetch Some.rrd CF

where "CF" is "AVERAGE", "MIN" or "MAX".

See "man rrdfetch".

For example, to extract daily averages over a year, do

  rrdtool fetch some.rrd AVERAGE \
    --start -1year --end now --resolution 86400

This assumes MRTG-like RRAs (created via the NRG database-mrtg.rrd.tm
template.)

Tobi,

Fwiw, I found that just

  rrdtool fetch some.rrd AVERAGE --resolution 86400

given the RRAs

  RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600
  RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:600
  RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:600
  RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:732

gave me values at 300 second intervals for the last day??

Reading "man rrdfetch", me thinks this a bug.

later
steve
- - -
systems guy