[rrd-users] Re: textual archiving (not a bug)

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sat Jan 8 12:52:40 MET 2000

Yesterday you sent me mail regarding [rrd-users] Re: textual archiving :

*> Tobi,
*>
*> Fwiw, I found that just
*>
*>   rrdtool fetch some.rrd AVERAGE --resolution 86400
*>
*> given the RRAs
*>
*>   RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600
*>   RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:600
*>   RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:600
*>   RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:732
*>
*> gave me values at 300 second intervals for the last day??
*>
*> Reading "man rrdfetch", me thinks this a bug.

the problem is that you are looing at a border case here ...

lets assume you are running this at 8am. The data in the DAY rra ends at
00:00 GMT yesterday ... the data in the 5MIN rra goes up to 5 minutes ago.
So in order to fulfill your request for data between NOW and 24h ago (8am to
8am local time) you will get 5 minute values as this is the resolution where
the requested interval can be covered best ... (There are other cases where
the data selection algorithm might be improved, but here I think it is
working correctly) ...

In other words, as I sugested, I would use rrdtool graph with PRINT only to
fetch data in the manner the requestor wanted it ...

cheers
tobi
--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, Timelord & SysMgr @ EE-Dept ETH-Zurich