[rrd-users] Re: rrd script assistance

steve rader rader at teak.wiscnet.net
Fri Jan 7 23:41:30 MET 2000

 > *> From: Neil
 > *> When I run the script manually and force it to echo values to the screen
 > *> both ifadminstatus and ifoperstatus are appearing, with the value 1.
 > *> The variables are set as GAUGE with unknown max/min values. I tried
 > *> changing it to 'ABSOLUTE' but this didn't appear to help.
 >
 > *> Have I overlooked something disgustingly obvious and stupid? I hope so,
 > *> and that someone can point it out for me...
 >
 > From: Tobias Oetiker
 > hmmm nothing obvious to me yet ... try writing your update commdnas to a
 > file and exeuting them by hand ...

Offlist, Neil and I found that <ds><value> is not, ah,
"trustable" for type GAUGE: enclosed is an example where we
updated a GAUGE DS with the values 1, 1, 1 but the resulting
<ds><value> value is 1.89e+02?!

Using "rrdtool fetch" acts as expected and I wrote:

Tobi,

I'm back to thinking that RRDtool really should allow for

  % rrdtool last --values --ds ifoper:ifadmin
  947262300 1.00 1.00

or somesuch.  If you agree, I will clean up my code for that
stuff and generate v1.0.10 patches.

later
steve
- - -
systems guy
wiscnet.net

-- Err : No filename to use for decode, file stripped.
-- Type: text/plain