[rrd-users] Re: rrd script assistance

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sat Jan 8 13:00:50 MET 2000

Yesterday you sent me mail regarding Re: [rrd-users] Re: rrd script assistance :

*>  > *> From: Neil
*>  > *> When I run the script manually and force it to echo values to the screen
*>  > *> both ifadminstatus and ifoperstatus are appearing, with the value 1.
*>  > *> The variables are set as GAUGE with unknown max/min values. I tried
*>  > *> changing it to 'ABSOLUTE' but this didn't appear to help.
*>  >
*>  > *> Have I overlooked something disgustingly obvious and stupid? I hope so,
*>  > *> and that someone can point it out for me...
*>  >
*>  > From: Tobias Oetiker
*>  > hmmm nothing obvious to me yet ... try writing your update commdnas to a
*>  > file and exeuting them by hand ...
*>
*> Offlist, Neil and I found that <ds><value> is not, ah,
*> "trustable" for type GAUGE: enclosed is an example where we
*> updated a GAUGE DS with the values 1, 1, 1 but the resulting
*> <ds><value> value is 1.89e+02?!

yes, with GAUGE the last ds value property does not get updated as it is not
relevant internally ...

*> Tobi,
*>
*> I'm back to thinking that RRDtool really should allow for
*>
*>   % rrdtool last --values --ds ifoper:ifadmin
*>   947262300 1.00 1.00

what does this do you can not do with rrdgraph and LAST ?

cheers
tobi

--
/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker, Timelord & SysMgr @ EE-Dept ETH-Zurich

-- Err : No filename to use for decode, file stripped.
-- Type: TEXT/PLAIN