[rrd-users] Question regarding LINEs and Areas...

Neil Calvert ncalvert at cabletron.com
Mon Jan 10 23:58:59 MET 2000

hi all

yes, I've been doing a lot with RRD today. Yes, my head hurts. Anyway.

I'm trying to graph ifAdmin and ifOper values and have run into a
problem. What seems to happen is if you have 2 variables to graph, the
latter one will overpaint the first. This isn't a problem if they only
coincide occasionally since one can tell from the rest of the graph what
the trend is.

In my situation (where you are seeing identical values, 1 or 0, for
extended periods, for both variables) variable 2 overwrites variable 1
on the graph so you only see one line. In MRTG you see what passes for a
dual line since one color sort of 'merges' into the other.

What I am looking for is a way to 'layer' these graph plots so I can
have a thick lower layer overwritten by a thin high layer - this way you
would see both graph lines at the same time, or near as possible. If
this is all drivel, maybe some poorly drawn ascii art will clarify :

-------
          : thickness of line on bottom of stack
-------

==== : thickness of line on top of stack

merging of both lines :

-----------
=======

so you see both lines at once (lower line extending above and below
upper line).

The workaround of using the AREA tag for variable 1 is suitable, but I
just wondered if you could stack colors - could be nice for other uses
(if you have 4 or 5 lines to chart and you want to arrange them in a
'front to back' manner')

is this possible to do with RRDTool?

cheers

Neil